Lower School Specials
The art program at Peace Valley seeks to bring honor and glory to God through the visual arts and is designed to provide a wide variety of experiences through skills, materials, visual concepts, art history, and art appreciation.
Students have the opportunity to explore art through painting, drawing, printmaking, ceramics, collage and weaving. They are also provided instruction in a graduated format, building on basic skills toward more complex ideas. Program highlights include art displays at local area businesses, participation in local community contests, and a spring fine arts festival.
Peace Valley students enjoy the balance and fun of sport and play from Kindergarten through Grade 5. They learn the value of consistent and lifelong physical fitness as well as the importance of their body as the temple of God.
Highlights of the program include:
- Technology integration using Heart Rate Monitors and iPads
- The President’s Challenge physical Fitness
- Badminton Tournament
- Cross curricular integration
- Activities, sports and games to encourage a lifelong love for physical fitness
“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as in fact you are doing.”
1 Thessalonians 5:11
Peace Valley students discover God’s creation of our human bodies through a comprehensive Health program. Learning how to care for themselves is an important part of Health in Grades K-5. Students also participate in the required Pennsylvania school health screenings: hearing, vision, height, weight and BMI.
Parents receive all of the results.
“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”
Some of the highlights include:
- Planning meals based on the Food Pyramid
- Learning about the human body and correctly locating some of its organs
- Practicing basic first aid
Latin class is your child’s ticket to time travel! Through their studies, students are whisked back to Ancient Rome where they become acquainted with a family that once lived at Vindolanda, a British fort currently under excavation. Students read about the escapades of this ancient family as they discover the roots of many of our modern-day words, customs, and practices. They are immersed in the Latin language, enriching their vocabulary, grammar, and reading comprehension while making connections to the time period and culture in which Jesus was born and lived out his earthly life
Among the highlights:
- Quarterly review class competitions through large-group computer games
- Reenacting myths and Latin dialogues using drama and puppetry
- veritas vos liberabit
Peace Valley Elementary’s Library brings the mysteries of this marvelous world that God has created into the hands of the students. Choosing from the wide selection of books as they gather with classmates to learn in PCS’ comfortable learning environment presents a marvelous opportunity to educationally grow. Students can also cuddle with Library mascot “Mr. Bear” and fall in love with reading.
Among the highlights:
- A study of the Caldecott Medal and illustration techniques
- John Newbery and the Newbery Medal
- The Dewey Decimal System
- Research projects with classroom teachers
The goal of our music program is to explore every aspect of music to the glory and praise of God. Children develop listening skills and an in-depth understanding of musical elements as they gain an understanding of music notation through reading, writing, and composing. Both students and teachers love to sing and perform with classroom instrument. As unique creations of God, each child has the ability and need to engage musically.
Peace Valley students can strengthen their newly discovered skills and talents through:
- Winter and Spring concerts
- Fourth and Fifth Grade Band
- Third Grade Recorder Ensemble
- Fifth Grade field trip to the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia
Computers and other technologies enrich the learning experiences of our Lower School students. They create slide-shows, make graphs and posters, type and illustrate stories, create simple animations, and are introduced to the basics of programming. Students learn about internet safety and digital citizenship. Computer use is integrated throughout the curriculum, and learning objectives are aligned with the National Educational Technology Standards.
Some of the activities include:
- Making an animation of the life cycle of a butterfly on an iPad
- Creating graphs of science data
- Preparing a PowerPoint about a social studies topic
- Integrating the use of desktop computers, iPads, digital cameras, and video cameras